Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Crowd vs Individual

Everday middle schoolers face the pressure to be part of the crowd or to be an individual and be your own person. Which is right and which is wrong?


I have always wanted to be an individual and be my own person. As I entered middle school, I noticed that there were popular brands that most people were wearing . The popular most popular ones are the first three and the last two are less popular but still popular. Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostale, Hollister, and American Eagle. I saw them everywhere. Even in gym, on the girl's bottoms. I liked that brand, but I couldn't figure out if I wanted to wear it because everyone else was wearing it, or if a just liked it. Recently, I got an Abercrombie sweater. I was so happy, and actually excited to go to school.
When I got to school on Monday, I actually fell into the trap of being like everyone else. I felt guilty that I had done it. I wore it for a few days and got used to it. I realized, that no one looks at you differently when you wear a brand name. I don't want people to like me for what I wear, but what they see in me on the inside. I will still wear it, but not think that people look at me differently. I am who I am and that will never change.
There is nothing wrong in wearing things like Abercrombie, but you shouldn't do it to fit into the crowd. No matter what you wear, people will still see you as you, and you don't have to wear a brand name to show them that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make some very good points. I totally agree.

Lucy said...

I think the problem is not that you look like everyone else when you wore the sweater, but that you thought about it in the first place. People around you can be shallow, but I think there is more too it. Perhaps the first impression of how you look like does make a difference but wether or not you fit in has to do with personality.